Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Reading - my favourite hobby

I loved to read books - mostly fiction. Dad made me a member of a local private library near my school when I was in class V. I think I was the youngest member of the library at that point of time. I remember elders gazing at me curiously when I used to walk around the book shelves to pick up what I wanted. I promptly returned all the books that I borrowed, so much so that the owner of the library got so fond of me and allowed me to borrow more number of books for the same membership fee!

I was a member of the library till class X. Those days there was no TV. We did not even have a telephone at home! We lived in large tea estates, much away from the main town and so the only pass-time we had was playing and reading. There were no children in my neighbourhood to play with, and so I took up reading. Mom was always furious as I would always sit with a book and not help her in the kitchen!

Right from comics - Amarchitra katha, Tinkle, Panchantra, etc, Enid Blyton, Nancy Drew, Hardy Boys, Mills & Boon, Jeffrey Archer, Sydney Shildon...., I used to love reading the whole range of books and comics. I liked ancient stories and fairly tales as well and would even now sit down with a book when I get an opportunity!

Some tales are fascinating and are also powerful learning tools on morals, values and principles. The short stories by Aesop is one such example.

I will try to bring selected Aesop tales in my subsequent postings. Each of them have a moral for children and adults alike, and I hope you will enjoy them as much as I did. You will be amazed at how much these stories can inspire and guide our lives.

Cheers!

 

1 comment:

  1. Looking forward to read those interesting tales which you have enjoyed in your childhood. My favorite books usually we friends are exchanges comics, balamithra, ambulimama, poonthalir, every friday Siruvarmalar during childhood.
    Cheers! Happy reading!!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! I read each and every comment, and will get back ASAP.