Monday, February 13, 2012

Tenali Raman Stories # 13 - A New Turban

One day, Krishnadevaraya and Tenali Rama were going on horseback to attend a festival in a nearby village. 

The king happened to notice the tattered and faded turban Rama was wearing. 'Rama! That's a wretched old turban you have! You may get rid of it. I shall pay for a new turban.' '

My lord! It will be a pleasure to get a new turban. But, I'm reluctant to part with this old turban for the simple reason that whatever I do with it, I bet you won't be able to do with your turban!' 

The king felt insulted. 'Don't talk nonsense! I'll give you a hundred gold coins, if you can prove what you say.' 

Soon afterwards, they came to a bridge over a river. Rama untied his turban and threw it into the swollen waters. 'My lord! See I've discarded my turban. Now, could you throw away your turban?' 

Krishnadevaraya burst into peels of laughter. 'Of course, I can't afford to throw away my bejewelled turban into the river. You've won the bet, Rama! You'll get your reward.' 

'My lord! I've not only won the bet, but I've obeyed your orders, too. I've discarded my old turban, and now I'll need a new one.' 

The king laughed again and said, 'You're very clever, indeed! I'll give you money to buy a new turban, too!'

Cheers!

1 comment:

  1. It's an amazing story you have written. I really appreciate your hard work. Read also
    Tenali Ramakrishna Stories

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! I read each and every comment, and will get back ASAP.