Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Tenali Raman Stories # 15 - The Other side of the Portrait

One day, Krishnadevaraya displayed in the court his portrait done by an artist. Those in the court appreciated the painting and the artist. 

 Surprisingly, Tenali Rama remained silent. 

The emperor was intrigued. 'Rama, don't you have anything to say?' 

'My lord, I don't find anything great about this painting. In fact, it is incomplete. It shows only one side of your face. The artist doesn't deserve any credit!' remarked Rama. '

Rama, you don't know how to judge a good painting. A painting need not be complete. One has to imagine a lot to judge the merit of a painting. It's very easy to criticise. Tell me, can you draw anything like this? I doubt whether you can even hold the brush, leave alone paint any object. Well, you draw something and bring it to me.' 

Rama was not seen in the court for some days. One day, he entered with two bodyguards holding a painting. Everyone was confused to see only the rear portion of a horse in the painting. '

What is this Rama? I can see only the tail of a horse,' commented the emperor. 

'My lord, its body is outside the canvas. Didn't you say, one has to imagine a lot to judge the merit of a good painting?' said Rama with a smirk. 

Krishnadevaraya laughed loudly. 'Rama, none can outwit you,' said the emperor, as he reached for his purse to give to Rama.


Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you! I read each and every comment, and will get back ASAP.