Thursday, February 16, 2012

Tenali Raman Stories # 16 - Tenali Rama and the Bandit

The king got annoyed with the exploits of a bandit. He warned the police chief of dire consequences if he failed to nab the bandit. 

Tenali Rama was passing through, when the overzealous police chief took him to be the bandit and arrested him. He was led to an open ground and buried him up to the neck in sand. 

 At night, the bandit himself was passing by the place. Tenali Rama recognised him as the bandit. He began chanting a hymn loudly. The curious bandit stopped by. Rama explained: 'By remaining buried and chanting this hymn, one becomes stronger ten times. Please take me out so that I can check whether I've become stronger.' 

 The bandit obliged and was made to believe that Rama had indeed become stronger. The bandit then got himself buried in sand. Rama asked him to chant the hymn, assuring him that he too would become stronger. 

Rama went and brought the king, the police chief, and others to show them the real bandit. He was then arrested. 

Rama was rewarded by the king, who asked him whether he would like to have something more. 'Yes, my lord!' said Rama. 'I would like to punch your police chief on the face for branding me a bandit.' His wish was granted, and the police chief was dismissed from service.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you! I read each and every comment, and will get back ASAP.