Friday, February 17, 2012

Tenali Raman Stories # 17 - The King's Ire

Tenali Rama was the favourite courtier of emperor Krishnadevaraya. 

With his sense of humour and ready wit, Rama could diffuse even a tense situation. 

 One day, the emperor got annoyed with Rama. He shouted, 'Get out of my sight! I don't want to see your face again!' 

The sudden outburst of the emperor shocked the other courtiers; some of them, jealous of Rama and his closeness with the emperor were secretly pleased. 

Rama left the court quietly. The next day, Rama promptly entered the court covering his face with a pot. He went and took his usual seat very casually, as if nothing had happened. 

The emperor, on arrival in the court, was enraged on seeing Rama back in his seat. 'Rama, how dare you come to the court? Didn't I tell you yesterday not to show your face to me?' the emperor thundered. 

'My lord, I'm sorry!' said Rama, through the pot, which had two holes for eyes and a third one for the mouth. 'I'm only obeying your command, sire! You said you didn't want to see my face. Haven't I covered my face with this pot?' 

The emperor burst into a laughter. 'You may now remove it. It doesn't matter if your face is seen,' said Krishnadevaraya.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you! I read each and every comment, and will get back ASAP.