Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Amusing English # 17 - Tongue Twisters

We have all attempted to try out a tricky tongue twister at least once in our life time. Tongue twisters are verbal challenges that are bound to make one laugh. Tongue twisters are phrases based on alliteration. The phrases are formed in such a way that one is bound to have more than a slip of tongue. Tongue twisters are usually used to have some lighthearted fun and break the ice within a group. The following are a few funny tongue twisters in the English language that are bound to spread a lot of laughter around when recited aloud.

S
he sells sea shells on the sea shore !
I
f two witches were watching two watches, which witch would watch which watch?
S
ounding by sound is a sound method of sounding sounds.
I
wish to wish the wish you wish to wish, but if you wish the wish the witch wishes, I won't wish the wish you wish to wish.
I
thought a thought. But the thought I thought wasn't the thought I thought I thought. If the thought I thought I thought had been the thought I thought, I wouldn't have thought so much.
Fresh fried fish, Fish fresh fried, Fried fish fresh, Fish fried fresh.

R
ed Leather, Yellow Leather.
Red Leather, Yellow Leather.
Red Leather, Yellow Leather.

B
etty Botter bought some butter, but she said "this butter’s bitter! But a bit of better butter will but make my butter better" So she bought some better butter, better than the bitter butter, and it made her butter better so ’twas better Betty Botter bought a bit of better butter!
 

A Tudor who tooted a flute
Tried to tutor two tooters to toot.
Said the two to their tutor,
Is it harder to toot;
Or to tutor two tooters to toot.

A
flea and a fly flew up in a flue.
Said the flea, "Let us fly!"
Said the fly, "Let us flee!"
So they flew through a flaw in the flue.

Y
ellow butter, purple jelly, red jam, black bread.
Spread it thick, say it quick!
Yellow butter, purple jelly, red jam, black bread.
Spread it thicker, say it quicker!
Yellow butter, purple jelly, red jam, black bread.
Don't eat with your mouth full!

Cheers!

1 comment:

  1. So interesting... bringing so many stuffs over hear, really learning new things through your blog posts.
    Thanks for sharing such interesting series of Amusing English!
    "Fresh fried fish, Fish fresh fried, Fried fish fresh, Fish fried fresh." This is really tongue twister for me.
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! I read each and every comment, and will get back ASAP.