Saturday, August 11, 2012

Stories from Scriptures # 11 - Dhruva (part 4/6)

Dhruva, a devotee of  Lord Vishnu was blessed to attain the position of the polar star, also known as Dhruva in Sanskrit.  His tale is recorded in the Vishnu Purana and the Bhagavata Purana.

Part 4 of 6

Dhruva did not know who Narada was. But he was a good boy brought up by his mother in good traditions. He bowed at the feet of the sage with great devotion and told him his full story. He concluded saying, 'O Mahatma, I will do tapas in the forest until Lord Narayana gives me a vision and my father's love."

Narada made light of Dhruva's words and laughing said, "My dear boy, is it only a man's love that you are in need of? Come, I will take you to great kings who are nicer than your father and will love you dearly. Who will not like a dear child like you? Think of your mother .. how lonely and forlorn she must be feeling! Go back to her. She will be most happy to see you. Don't go to forest. Even grown-ups can't live there. It is not easy to do tapas."

But Dhruva was very firm in his determination. He could not be dissuaded from his purpose. "Of what use is the love of others to me O Maharshi, if my own father scorns me? My mother herself is very much neglected by my father. If I gain my father's love, she will also benefit by it. I am not afraid of the forests. My mother told me that no harm will come to a person who relies on the Lord."

Seeing Dhruva thus firm in his purpose, Narada was very happy. He blessed the boy and said, "Dhruva, verily Lord Narayana Himself is inspiring you. You go straight along this road till you reach the sacred river Yamuna. On her banks is the forest called Madhuvana which is very suitable for tapas. You live in the forest. Take a bath in the river and worship the Lord sitting under a tree in the forest." He then drew the boy near him and whispered the Narayana Mantra in his ears,. 'Om Namo Narayana!" As he heard the Mantra, there was a thrill in Dhruva. Narada advised him to do japa of the Mantra contiguously, forgetting everything else. "O Dhruva, drive the thoughts of your parents, of your father's neglect, your aunty's cruelty and your mother's sorrow. Concentrate on the Lord alone. He will surely appear before you soon." Dhruva respectfully prostrated before the sage and went towards the Yamuna river.

Narada's mission did not stop with this. He was very kind by nature and always wanted to help wherever sorrow and misery prevailed. He was sure that Uttanapada must be repenting for his callousness by now, for he was a nice man though too much enamored of his younger wife. As expected, Uttanapada was in great distress. He came to know through his servants that Dhruva left for forests dressed like an ascetic and he sorely blamed himself for his heartless conduct.  

(to be continued...)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you! I read each and every comment, and will get back ASAP.