Sunday, August 26, 2012

Stories from Scriptures # 26 - Savitri (3/3)

Story of Savitri

Part 3 of 3

Savitri looked up. Coming through the woods to meet them was a princely man. He shone, though his skin was darker than the darkest night. His eyes and his robe were the red of blood.

Trembling, Savitri asked, "Who are you?"

A deep, gentle voice replied. "Princess, you see me only by the power of your prayer and fasting. I am Yama, god of death. Now is the time I must take the spirit of Satyavan."

Yama took a small noose and passed it through Satyavan's breast, as if through air. He drew out a tiny likeness of Satyavan, no bigger than a thumb.

Satyavan's breathing stopped.

Yama placed the likeness inside his robe. "Happiness awaits your husband in my kingdom. Satyavan is a man of great virtue."

Then Yama turned and headed south, back to his domain.

Savitri rose and started after him. Yama strode smoothly and swiftly through the woods, while Savitri struggled to keep up. At last, he stopped to face her. "Savitri! You cannot follow to the land of the dead!"

"Lord Yama," said Savitri, "I know your duty is to take my husband. But my duty as his wife is to stay beside him."

"Princess, that duty is at an end," said Yama. "Still, I admire your loyalty. I will grant you a favor -- anything but the life of your husband."

Savitri said, "Please restore my father-in-law's kingdom and his sight."

"His sight and his kingdom shall be restored." Yama again headed south. Savitri followed.

Along a river bank, thorns and tall sharp grass let Yama pass untouched. But they tore at Savitri's clothes and skin.

"Savitri! You have come far enough!"

"Lord Yama, I know my husband will find happiness in your kingdom. But you carry away the happiness that is mine!"

"Princess, even love must bend to fate," said Yama. "Still, I admire your devotion. I will grant you another favor -- anything but the life of your husband."

Savitri said, "Grant many more children to my father."

"Your father shall have many more children."

Yama once more turned south. Again, Savitri followed.

Up a steep hill Yama glided, while Savitri clambered after him. At the top, he halted.

"Savitri! I forbid you to come farther!"

"Lord Yama, you are respected and revered by all. Yet, no matter what may come, I will remain by Satyavan!"

"Princess, I tell you for the last time, you will not!" said Yama. "Still, I can only admire your courage and your firmness. I will grant you one last favor -- anything but the life of your husband."

"Then grant many children to me" said Savitri. "And let them be children of Satyavan!" Yama's eyes grew wide as he stared at Savitri. "You did not ask for your husband's life, yet I cannot grant your wish without releasing him. Princess! Your wit is as strong as your will."

Yama took out the spirit of Satyavan and removed the noose. The spirit flew north, quickly vanishing from sight. "Return, Savitri. You have won your husband's life."

The sun was just setting when Savitri again laid Satyavan's head in her lap.

His chest rose and fell. His eyes opened.

"Is the day already gone? I have slept long," he said. "But what is wrong , my love? You smile and cry at the same time!"

"My love," said Savitri, "let us return home."

Yama was true to all he had promised. Savitri's father became father to many more. Satyavan's father regained both sight and kingdom.

In time, Satyavan became king, and Savitri his queen. They lived long an happily, blessed with many children. So they had no fear or tears when Yama came again to carry them to his kingdom.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you! I read each and every comment, and will get back ASAP.