Thursday, August 30, 2012

Stories from Scriptures # 30 - Satyakama, the truthful

Satyakama, the truthful - Story from Chhandogya Upanishad

Part 1 of 2

One day a young boy came to the ashrama of Sage Gautama and said: "Holy Sire, I want to get the sacred knowledge by serving you. Please accept me as your student."

The sage asked: "Child, What is your gotra?" (Gotra is one's family name).

The boy replied: "Sire, I asked it of my mother. She said: 'Child, when you were born, I used to be very busy serving guests at home. I had no time to ask the gotra from your father. Now he is no more. So I do not know it. My name is Jabala and yours, Satyakama. So call yourself Satya- kama -Jabala and say that to your Guru."

On hearing it, the rishi smiled and said: "I admire you, child, for saying the truth. I am sure you must be born of a noble gotra. I shall accept you as my student. Go and get me some samid. I shall initiate you in brahmacharya."

The twigs of the sacred peepal tree are called samid.

For studying the sastras, one has to become a brahmachari. And the teacher has to be paid in kind like samid for his service.

The boy brought the samid, and the guru made him a brahmachari by giving him the sacred thread and the Gayatri Mantra. This mantra says: "O God, give me intelligence!"

After a few days, the rishi gave the boy four hundred lean and ill fed cows and said: "Child, take these to the forest and graze them."

The boy said: "Sire, I shall return when these cows multiply into a thousand."

Satyakama built an ashrama for himself in the forest and looked after the cows. All the time he carefully practised the duties of a brahmachari.

Years went by. The number of cows increased to a thousand. 

(to be continued...)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you! I read each and every comment, and will get back ASAP.