Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Stories from Scriptures # 14 - Bhasmasura (Part 1/3)

Way up in the Himalayas, where the snow never melts, there once sat a Rakshasa performing severe penance. He was a devotee of Lord Shiva and had spent many, many hundreds of years, with no thought for food or clothe, heat or cold, sun or snow, sitting there, his mind fixed on Lord Shiva. "Shiva-Shiva, Shiva-Shiva, Shiva-Shiva." His name was Bhasmasura.

After ages had passed thus, Shiva decided to bless him. So, one day, as Bhasmasura was meditating, the Lord appeared before him. He was shining like the morning sun. He was the supreme ascetic, dressed in deer skin, body smeared with ashes, locks matted, the snakes dangling around his neck and arms, his hand holding aloft the divine Trishul. Ah, what a magnificent sight he made in all his ascetic glory! Bhasmasura's eyes were dazzled. He was speechless with wonder at the Lord's beautiful form: "Shiva-Shiva, Shiva-Shiva, Shiva-Shiva."

Gently Shiva spoke to the awe-struck Bhasmasura. He said, "I am pleased with the severe penance you have performed. Ask of me any boon you desire." And Bhasmasura thought, "I must indeed be a great Tapasvi, as Lord Shiva has granted me a boon." Aloud he said, "Lord, grant that whatever object I touch with my right hand will be immediately reduced to ashes." "Shiva-Shiva." Bhasmasura, even after going through such rigorous penance, yet, had an asuric mind. "Shiva-Shiva." What a boon to ask for! Lord Shiva said, "Tathaastu! - so be it."

Then at once Bhasmasura said, "Lord, you have granted me the boon alright, but how will I know it is true? Once you disappear now, I will not be able to get you for the next few hundred years perhaps. I would like to test your boon. This is a mountainous, snowy area. For miles around there is no object that can be touched. Therefore, come forward. I will touch your head and see if what you say is true."

"Shiva-Shiva, Shiva-Shiva, Shiva-Shiva."

The wicked Rakshasa thought that once I burn up Lord Shiva's head there will be nobody greater than I.

(to be continued...)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you! I read each and every comment, and will get back ASAP.