Sunday, August 12, 2012

Stories from Scriptures # 12 - Dhurva (part 5/6)

Dhruva, a devotee of  Lord Vishnu was blessed to attain the position of the polar star, also known as Dhruva in Sanskrit.  His tale is recorded in the Vishnu Purana and the Bhagavata Purana.

Part 5 of 6

So when Uttanapada saw Devarshi Narada coming to the palace, he greatly rejoiced for, a Mahatma's darshan indicated auspicious occurings. He came outside the palace to greet the sage. Prostrating before him with great devotion he led the sage inside and worshipping him in due manner, he unburdened his heart before him. Narada consoled him saying, "Don't worry, king. Your son is not an ordinary person. He will succeed and will return safely after gaining the vision of the Lord. He will not only become famous but will also perpetuate your name. Now be kind and loving to your senior wife who is quite forlorn because of Dhruva's departure." Thus saying he disappeared from there.

In Madhuvana Dhruva carried on severe austerities. He gave up food and immersed himself in japa throughout the day. In the first month he ate one or two fruit once in three days. In the second month he ate only a few leaves once in six days. In the third month he drank a little water once in nine days. In the fourth month he opened his mouth once in twelve days and swallowed only a little air. In the fifth month he stopped even that and stood on one foot like an immovable post and continued japa with all his mind set on Lord Narayana.

Such a terrible austerity in so small a child moved the three worlds. The intensity of the tapas created such a heat that even the gods in heaven could not withstand it. They all went in a deputation to Lord Narayana in Vaikuntha and said, "O Lord, we are being burnt up by the intensity of Dhruva's tapas. Please rescue us from it."

Lord Narayana was reclining on the cobra bed with Lakshmi Devi at His feet. He smiled and said, "Yes, I know. Dhruva's tapas has reached the culmination. I will give him a vision now." So saying He got up. Garutmanta, His bird chariot who always knew what his master wanted even before he spoke out, was ready at the gate as Lord Narayana reached there. Seated upon the eagle chariot Sri Vishnu flew faster than wind and reached Madhuvana in no time. Dhruva was standing one one foot with eyes closed and doing japa intensely.

Lord Narayana stood before Dhruva and called aloud, "My child Dhruva, I am very much pleased with your tapas. I give you whatever you pray for. Open your eyes and see me."

Dhruva heard the words of the Lord but did not open his eyes. Instead, he said, "O Great God, excuse me if I don't obey your orders immediately. During these five months I heard such voices many times and thinking that you have come, I opened my eyes, but I found that it was only a trick of my mind. My mother said that you are everywhere within and without of all beings. If you have really come please appear before my mind so that I can be sure that you have really come."  

(to be continued...)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you! I read each and every comment, and will get back ASAP.