Saturday, August 25, 2012

Stories from Scriptures # 25 - Savitri (2/3)

Story of Savitri

Part 2 of 3

Satyavan was overjoyed to be offered such a bride. But his father, the blind king, asked Savitri, "Can you bear the hard life of the hermitage? Will you wear our simple robe and our coat of matted bark? Will you eat only fruit and plants of the wild?"

Savitri said, "I care nothing about comfort or hardship. In palace or in hermitage, I am content."

That very day, Savitri and Satyavan walked hand in hand around the sacred fire in the hall of worship. In front of all the priests and hermits, they became husband and wife.

For a year, they lived happily. But Savitri could never forget that Satyavan's death drew closer.

Finally, only three days remained. Savitri entered the hall of worship and faced the sacred fire. There she prayed for three days and nights, not eating or sleeping.

"My love," said Satyavan, "prayer and fasting are good. But why be this hard on yourself?"

Savitri gave no answer.

The sun was just rising when Savitri at last left the hall. She saw Satyavan heading for the forest, an ax on his shoulder.

Savitri rushed to his side. "I will come with you."

"Stay here, my love," said Satyavan. "You should eat and rest."

But Savitri said, "My heart is set on going."

Hand in hand, Savitri and Satyavan walked over wooded hills. They smelled the blossoms on flowering trees and paused beside clear streams. The cries of peacocks echoed through the woods.

While Savitri rested, Satyavan chopped firewood from a fallen tree. Suddenly, he dropped his ax.

"My head aches," he said.

Savitri rushed to him. She laid him down in the shade of a tree, his head on her lap.

"My body is burning!" said Satyavan. "What is wrong with me?"

Satyavan's eyes closed. His breathing slowed.

(to be continued...)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you! I read each and every comment, and will get back ASAP.