Thursday, August 9, 2012

Stories from Scriptures # 9 - Dhruva (part 2/6)

Dhruva, a devotee of  Lord Vishnu was blessed to attain the position of the polar star, also known as Dhruva in Sanskrit.  His tale is recorded in the Vishnu Purana and the Bhagavata Purana.

Part 2 of 6

Sobbing aloud he turned back and ran to his mother. Suniti saw him from a distance and came out anxiously for Dhruva was a very good boy and he never wept for trifles. She held him close to her heart and wiping away the tears, asked lovingly, "What happened my boy? Did anyone say anything to you? Have you been hurt?"

When consoled by his mother Dhruva's grief increased. He broke into loud weeping. Amid sobs and hiccups he told her what passed in Suruchi's palace and asked, 'Why is my father so unloving, mother? Why is he not like all fathers? Everybody loves his own children. Why does my father neglect me? Will you not speak with him?"

Suniti shed bitter tears on hearing this and lamented, "My unfortunate child it is as your aunty said. You were born to me because you are unlucky. The king loves only your aunty and does not love me all. Because of me you are also neglected. I am myself helpless. How can I help you, my poor child?"

Dhruva was sadder than ever. He hoped that his mother who was big could speak with his father and set the matters right. But here she was more miserable than himself. He rose to his feet and asked, 'Mother, tell me, is there no way to gain my father's love? Can no one help at all?"

Suniti looked into his eyes .... poor child, he appeared so sad and worried at his young age. She wiped her tears and tried to look brave. She said, "My dear, there is only one who helps all helpless people in the world. He is the Lord Narayana. If you can get a vision of the Lord, all your troubles will be at an end."

Dhruva's face brightened on hearing this. If there was anything on earth that he could do to gain his father's love he would be sure to do it! He eagerly asked, 'Mother, where is this Lord Narayana? How can I meet him? Will he listen to me or will he shove me off as father does?"

Suniti replied, "No, my boy, He will never do like that. He will be very kind and considerate and will grant you all that you ask." 

(to be continued...)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you! I read each and every comment, and will get back ASAP.